October 4, 2018
I had my first maternity class @ Catholic Guardian Services Bronx, New York. Maternity services programs provide supports and services to women which includes case management, supportive counseling, options counseling, referrals for community services, referrals for food pantries, referrals to shelters, immigration assistance, and parenting classes.
We were 16 mommies-to-be. Majority of the mommies has children already. Two of us is a first time mom to be. I am so excited at the same time anxious to hold my baby.
- Use a firm sleep surface such as a mattress in a safety approved crib covered by fitted sheet.
- Do not use pillows, blankets, sheepskin, or crib bumpers anywhere in your baby’s sleep area.
- Keep soft objects, toys, and loose bedding out of your baby’s sleep area.
- Do not smoke around your baby.
- Make sure nothing covers the baby’s head.
- Always place your baby on his or here back to sleep for naps and at night.
- Dress your baby in sleep clothing, such as one piece sleeper, and do not use a blanket.
- Baby’s sleep area is next to where the parents sleep.
- Baby should not sleep in an adult bed, on a couch, or on a chair alone, with you or with anyone else.
- Give your baby a dry pacifier that is not attached to a string for naps and at night to reduce the risk of Sudden Infants Death Syndrome (SIDS)
- Do not use home heart or breathing monitors.
- Tie curtain cords up, out of reach.