Sponsored Links

Getting Married in New York

The state of New York does not require couples to be residents of New York to marry in the state. However, marriage licenses issued in New York must be used within the state of New York.

A New York State Marriage License is valid for 60 days (except for active military personnel, for whom the validity runs for 180 days). A Marriage License issued in New York can be used anywhere within New York State but may not be used outside New York State. The fee to register a Domestic Partnership is $35 by credit card or money order payable to the City Clerk.

You and your partner may register to become a Domestic Partnership if you meet the following requirements:

  • Both you and your partner are New York City residents or at least one of you is employed by the City of New York on the date of registration.
  • Both persons are 18 years of age or older.
  • Neither you nor your partner is married or related by blood in a manner that would bar his or her marriage in New York State.
  • Both of you have a close and committed personal relationship, live together, and have been living together on a continuous basis.
  • You and your partner must be able to truthfully state an identical residential address on the application form for the Domestic Partnership.
  • Neither you nor your partner is currently in another Domestic Partnership or has been registered as a member of another Domestic Partnership within the last six months.

Required Information
Listed below is the information you will need to fill out the Marriage License Application:

  • The application is an affidavit where you and your prospective spouse must list your name; current address; city, state, ZIP code and country; country of birth; date of birth; name and country of birth of your parents; Social Security number; and marital history.
  • When you sign the affidavit, you are making a sworn statement that there are no legal impediments to the marriage.
  • If you were married before, you must list all prior marriages. You must include your previous spouse’s full name; the date the divorce decree was granted; and the city, state, and country where the divorce was issued.
  • All divorces, annulments, and dissolution must be finalized before you apply for a new Marriage License.
  • You may be asked to produce the final divorce decree.
  • If your spouse is deceased, you must provide such spouse’s full name and date of death.

Source: Office of the City Clerk New York

In my personal experience getting the Marriage License was very easy, as long as you meet the requirements you will get the license.  For us we were lucky because it only took us 20 minutes to get the document. The clerk just ask basic questions and looked at my passport and birth certificate.


Leave a Reply