- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 8 ounces boneless chicken breasts or thighs,* diced
- 8 ounces Baby Bella or other button mushrooms**, thinly-sliced and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, grated/minced
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar (or white vinegar)
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper,***
- optional: 8 ounces soft or firm tofu, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch whisked with 4 tablespoons water
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- Heat a large pot over medium-low heat. Add oil. When oil ripples, add chicken to pot in a single layer. Cook, stirring occasionally to lightly brown all sides, about 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, garlic and ginger. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes.
- Stir in vinegar and scrape up any bits from bottom of pan. Add chicken stock, hot sauce, tamari (or soy) sauce, black pepper, and (optional) tofu. Bring to a low simmer; allow to simmer for at least 20 minutes. Taste; add more vinegar, soy, hot sauce, pepper or salt to taste. (If not in a hurry, allow to simmer for longer.)
- Stir in whisked cornstarch/water mixture until combined.
- Reduce heat to low; while stirring soup, gradually stream in beaten egg.
- Keep warm until ready to serve.
- Serve garnished with thinly sliced scallions/green onion and hot sauce to taste.
Source: She Wear Many Hats